Ghent, 10-11 September 2015
Ghent University, Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication, Department of Linguistics
The UGent research groups Intercomm and Lang+ are pleased to announce they will be co-hosting a conference entitled Multilingual perspectives on professional discourse in Europe, which will take place at Ghent University, Belgium on 10-11 September 2015. The topical and methodological scope of this conference has been kept as wide as possible, though a number of foci of attention have been included. The communicative context will be restricted to Europe and main topics include multilingual internal and external, written or oral communication in organizational and institutional settings (meetings, hearings, e-mails, press releases, annual reports, etc.).
Specific attention will be paid to:
- Multilingualism and identity construction in a professional context
- Multilingualism and enactment of power in a professional context
- Speech act realizations in multilingual professional settings
- Change management communication in multilingual professional settings
- Localized financial reporting from a multilingual perspective
- Language policy in international organizations
- Science communication in multilingual professional settings
- (interpreter mediated) service encounters in multilingual settings
- Public service interpreting
The conference is open to a variety of theoretical and (multi-)methodological approaches, such as ethnographic, sociolinguistic, (intercultural and cross-cultural) pragmatic and corpus-based approaches.
The conference is made possible with the support of the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy, the Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication and its InterComm Research Centre, the Linguistics Department and its Lang+ Research Group, and the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO).